As we prepare for the 2021-22 school year, we are in in the midst of finishing construction and putting our classrooms back together. We are so excited to welcome you back into the building! As we start this year everyone will be required to wear masks while in the building; this includes all children and adults regardless of their vaccination status. Please be sure that your child has masks that fit and that they've spent some time wearing one again before the school year starts. At this point, parents/guardians will be able to enter the building if they are wearing a mask.
I know that you have many questions and I hope the information below answers most of them. If there is something I've forgotten, please call the office if you have questions. Our office hours are 7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Finally, as we prepare for the start of the school year please remember to always keep your contact and emergency contact information up-to-date. If you have moved, have a new phone number, or a new email, be sure to call the office to let us know. We want to keep you informed and up-to-date with what is happening both at Sheridan Hills and in the District.
I look forward to seeing you at the Open House on Thursday, September 2.
Nancy Stachel, Principal
School hours, parent pickup and drop off:
Our school hours this year are 8:10 a.m. to 2:40 p.m. Students will be able to enter the building at 7:55 a.m. Please do not drop your child off before that time. There is no staff supervision prior to 7:55 a.m. Please review the information on our school website about parent drop off and pickup.
Richfield's transportation department will send out postcards to families the week of August 30. The post card will include information about the bus number, bus stop and pickup time. Prior to the start of the school year, please review the bus stop with your child so that they know where it is and how to get both to and from the bus stop. Bus times are always approximate, so be sure to have your child at the bus stop 3-5 minutes prior to the arrival time.
As I shared earlier, everyone must wear a mask when they are inside the building. Children riding the bus must also wear a mask on the bus. When they are outside, children will not be required to wear masks. We will continue with our extra cleaning protocols during and after the school day and socially distance when possible. One of the most important things you can do is to keep your child home if they are sick. The best way for us to keep students and staff healthy and in school is for all of us to be honest and to stay home when we are sick.
- This year is a little different with students in grades 1-5 starting on Wednesday, September 8.
- Prekindergarten and kindergarten students start on Thursday, September 9.
- A separate email will be sent out to prekindergarten and kindergarten families to schedule a conference for Tuesday or Wednesday, September 7 or 8.
- We will hold our Open House on Thursday, September 2 from 3:30-6 p.m. This is a time for you and your child to meet their teacher and see their classroom.
- Monday, September 13 at 6:30 p.m. our Parent Teacher Organization is holding their kickoff meeting.
- Thursday, October 7 from 5:30-7 p.m. is our Fall Family Night.
- Parent-teacher conferences will happen on October 19 and 20. Information will be sent out in late September for you to sign up for a conference time. Like last year, we will offer the option of a virtual or in-person conference.
Breakfast, lunches, and the Free and Reduced Price Meal application:
Like last year, all children will receive free breakfast and lunch at school. The breakfast and lunch menus can be found on the District website. Even though lunches are free, the amount of money our school gets to provide extra services for students is still based on the number of our students that qualify for free or reduced price lunches. Please take the time to complete the Free and Reduced Price Meal Application. You will be helping our school community.
We had a few retirements last year so we have new staff. Please join me in welcoming the following people into our Sheridan Hills' community:
- Vikki Gilligan is our Administrative Assistant (Karen Madsen retired)
- Jason Boie is a new fourth grade teacher.
- Elizabeth Sundal is a new math and reading intervention teacher.
- Quinn Millibergity is a new special education teacher in our Center-based program.
- Jen Bayley is our new literacy coach.
- Alexandra Jung and Meghan Weibel are paraprofessionals in our special education program.